The BATP Resale Shop benefits the clients of Bay Area Turning Point in two ways:
- Provides our clients, who have left home and are starting new lives, with shopping vouchers that allow them to purchase clothing and other items needed without a charge.
- Generates funds from the sale of goods to the general public to support direct services for clients like shelter, counseling, and advocacy.
Donations to the resale shop are tax deductible according to the IRS regulations for charitable contributions.
The BATP Resale Shop depends on your donations to keep the shop stocked.
For your convenience, the Resale Shop can accept Visa and Mastercard payments. As of May 1, 2010 checks are no longer accepted.
(Scroll down for a list of items we can/cannot except.)
Where, When, and What to Give:
18207 Egret Bay Blvd.
Houston, TX 77058
- SUNDAY: CLOSED
- MONDAY: CLOSED
- TUESDAY – SATURDAY: 10:00 AM- 5:00 PM
DONATIONS ARE ACCEPTED (AT OUR BACKDOOR)
TUESDAY – FRIDAY 10:00 AM TO 4:00 PM
SATURDAY 10:00 AM TO 2:00 PM
When the sorting room is full, we must temporarily stop accepting donations, to avoid violations to the fire code and fines. If you are donating on a Saturday afternoon or in late December, call the shop first to ensure that there is space for your donation.
Please do not ask our staff to break the rules. They will do everything to accommodate you, but are prohibited to break the rules.
Please do not leave donations outside when the shop is closed.
We could be fined for having items left at the front and/or back door sidewalks and cannot guarantee that the donation will be received. A receipt cannot be issued for items we are unable to attest to receiving.
If you wish to make a donation and receive a receipt for tax-deductions, we must receive your donation by 4:30 PM on the last Friday of the year.
Please note: Once our receiving area is full, we cannot continue to accept donations , in risk of being fined for a fire hazard. If you are planning a year-end donation, we suggest the following:
- Plan ahead and donate items before the rush at the end of the year.
- Call the store during business hours, to make sure there is space to accept your donation.
- Familiarize yourself with the list of items we can and cannot accept. We cannot provide you with a receipt for items we cannot accept. We also cannot provide you with a receipt for items that are left on the sidewalk or in the parking lot after business hours.
We Appreciate Your Support!
What We Accept
- New and gently used clothing and shoes (women, men and children)
- Accessories and jewelry
- Housewares and home decor
- Collectibles and antiques
- Working electronic equipment and small appliances (DVD players, VCRS, TVs)
- Toys (that are still available in mainstream stores or are collectible antiques)
- Baby beds, cribs, walkers, strollers and high chairs (Baby beds must be donated with all original parts for assembly)
- Baby blankets and sheets only
What We Do Not Accept
- Anything broken, dirty, stained or torn
- New or Used mattresses or mattress pads, sleeping bags, quilts, pillows (of any kind), comforters or baby bedding (We could be fined)
- Sleeper sofas
- Large kitchen appliances (We can not move them)
- Books in large numbers (Sadly, we do not have enough room in our store)
- Car seats, unless brand new
- Exercise equipment
- Garage sale leftovers
- Computer equipment and related accessories
- Renovation items (i.e. stove tops, ceiling fans, light fixtures, etc.)
Why we cannot accept:
New or Used mattresses or bedding?
We can be fined up to $25,000 each day that we have these items in the building.
Books in large numbers?
BATP is very pro-reading and pro-books. Books are available for clients at our shelter. Due to limited space we are unable to accept large quantities of books. We do accept them in limited quantities.
We simply do not have the space or a way to transport them to our clients or to pick them up from donors.
Broken, even slightly broken, furniture & electronics?
We do not have the ability to fix things and cannot sell broken items.
Car seats or exercise equipment?
These used items are often dirty or broken and we do not want to give these items to our clients or sell them to the public. (Brand new car seats will be used by the agency.)
Garage sale leftovers?
We ask our supporters to consider this if it did not sell at the garage sale, it probably won’t sell at the BATP Resale Shop. Too often, we must throw these items away and it cost us for extra waste disposal pick-ups.
Typically, donated computers are old and have been replaced with newer models. Shoppers will not buy out-dated models and our clients need updated models for their back-to-work skill development. If you are unsure about your computer, please call the agency office at (281)338-7600 before donating.
These items do not sell at our type of store.
* We cannot accept resale items that are not working properly. We must be able to prove that items are in good working condition before we will accept them.
Thank you for understanding our policies and working with us to curtail shop expenses so it can be a financial support for our mission.
Take advantage of the many bargains!
Resale is always in search of dedicated volunteers! Sort, stock, price or sell and have fun while making a difference!
If you are interested in volunteering, please visit the Volunteer page or contact our Volunteer Services Manager.
THE CYCLE OF GENEROSITY
You donate a sofa, volunteers and staff price it and display it on the Resale Shop floor. A supportive customer purchases the sofa. Money from the sale helps to provide BATP shelter & services. Lives are saved and changed.